SafeWalks and SafeRides
If you are walking at night follow these guidelines from the Public Safety Department:
- Don't walk alone
- Stay in well-lit areas
- Do not draw attention to yourself or your group, especially as you make your way home from bars
- Disconnect from your iPod or mp3 player
- Put your mobile phone away and pay attention to your surroundings
- If something does not look right or your gut instincts say that you should cross the street, follow your gut
- When you go out at night, have fun, but do not get so inebriated that you misbehave, have poor judgment, or become a target of crime
- Most importantly, use your common sense!
If you find yourself in a situation where you need transport, take advantage of two services provided for the campus community: SafeWalks and SafeRides
SafeWalks is a courtesy service provided to University of Illinois students, faculty, or staff, so that they do not have to walk alone within the campus area. People who are interested in a SafeWalk should contact the University of Illinois Police Student Patrol.
- Sunday-Thursday: 9 pm-2 am
- Friday and Saturday: 9 pm-3 am
Please give at least 20 minutes notice for the SafeWalk.
Contact: Call (217) 333-1216 or press an emergency phone button and wait for the dispatcher.
SafeRides is a limited MTD service that provides safe transportation for individuals who are generally traveling alone when no other means of safe transportation is available.
- Fall Semester - Daylight Savings in November: 7 pm-6 am
- Daylight Savings in November - Daylight Savings in March: 5 pm-6 am
- Daylight Savings in March - end of Spring Semester: 7 pm-6 am
There is no SafeRides service during summer session I and II.
Contact: Call (217) 265-7433 or visit www.cumtd.com/riding/saferides.