Resources for Becoming Tobacco-Free
Quitting smoking is not easy, but it can be done. To have the best chance of quitting successfully, you need to know what you're up against, what your options are, and where to go for help. To get started, check out our UI Wellness Center Tobacco-Free Toolkit.
Here are some other resources to help you in your attempts to become tobacco-free (all service free unless noted):
Campus Resources (pdf):
- Walk-in consults: Campus employees can meet with a trained cessation expert. Ask questions, learn about cessation resources, and make an action plan.
- Quit Kits: Contact the UI Wellness Center for a free quit kit
- Freedom from Smoking: A 7-week group cessation program offered by the UI Wellness Center.
- Faculty/Staff Assistance Program: One-on-one counseling for employees to help cope with stress and anxiety from smoking cessation.
- Insurance provider programs: Insurance providers offer options that include a combination of coaching and prescription or NRT therapy.
- State Benefits: Illinois employees can receive up to a $200 rebate towards cessation program costs.
- Employees and Students:
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy Sales (NRT): Buy NRT at the Illini Union, ARC, CRCE, Ice Arena, State Farm Center, and some Housing facilities to help with cravings.
- Smoking Cessation Program – CU Public Health Department (Note: small fee for these programs.)
- Evening Freedom From Smoking (pdf)
- Break the Habit: 4-week Smoking Cessation Program (pdf) – Call 1-866-QUIT-YES (1-866-784-8937)
- Self-Directed Smoking Cessation Workbooks – Champaign County Tobacco Prevention Coalition
- SmokefreeTXT: Service that sends encouraging messages, advice, and tips through text messages.
- ACS Desktop Helpers: Downloadable tools to help deal with cravings.
- Cigarette Cost Calculator (money)
- How Many Cigarettes is That?
- ACS Stop Smoking Quiz
- Illinois Tobacco Quit Line – State of Illinois and the American Lung Association, 866-QUIT-YES (866-784-8937)
- Telephonic Smoking Cessation Counseling – National Institutes of Health, 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848)
- Online Tools for Smoking Cessation
- Online Tools for Quitting Smoking – from the CDC
- Freedom From Smoking Online Smoking Cessation Program – American Lung Association (Note: small fee for this program.)
- WebMD Online Smoking Cessation Community – monitored by WebMD
- Information about Smoking Cessation Pharmaceuticals – McKinley Health Center
- Smoking Cessation Information for Students – McKinley Health Center